To talk about terrorism, we have to talk about religion(s), ideologies, partisanship (especially as concerns counter-terrorism) other controversial issues. How can we discuss and even disagree without being offensive and getting offended? These are the ground rules the class compiled on the first day.
- Do not take things personally; keep a rational mindset.
- Let people finish talking; do not interrupt.
- Try to recognize other people’s point of view even when you do not agree with them (put yourself in others' shoes).
- Try to base views on facts rather than on uninformed opinions; separate facts from opinions.
- Be moderate when it comes to the tone of voice.
- Understand that we are in a diverse classroom.
- Think about why other people have different ideas before you start attacking them
- Do not be rude.
- Seek to learn from each other.